Want to learn to learn the secrets to making a beautiful, well balanced and harmoniously designed dessert table, but not sure where to start? Or daunted by the range of skills, techniques, planning and timing needed to pull off a well-executed display?
With our wealth of experience, catering to royal families across the globe; from 15 metre long dessert tables to match the bride’s dress, to identical pairs of overflowing tables to feed thousands, we’ve compiled the ultimate dessert table course. We’ve condensed everything you need to know into five jam-packed days, to create your own show-stopping dessert tables filled with an array of tiered cakes, mini cakes and sweet treats.
You’ll leave with a full set of practical baking and decorating skills for creating a stunning dessert table, as well as our well-honed methods for designing, planning and executing the final display.
We’ll also give you a tour of our professional cake design studio and kitchen (conveniently located next to the classroom), you’ll also meet Rosalind and the team for a Q&A, during which you can ask all your burning dessert table questions and learn her tips and tricks developed over 20+ years of design training.
At the end of the Rosalind Miller certified course you’ll receive a Rosalind Miller The Studio Certificate of Excellence in Dessert Table Design & Making.
What you will learn:
- Making mini bundt cakes and baked mini doughnuts and decorating them with royal icing, sprinkles and dried flowers
- Baking and decorating fondant covered domed cupcakes
- Our fool-proof TIPS on baking the perfect sponge for tiered and single tier cakes, including our signature Vanilla cake recipe (and how to adapt the recipe to different flavours)
- How to make smooth American buttercream
- Making and decorating jewelled macarons
- Making and colouring Dogwood sugar flowers (for decorating dessert table items with)
- Making small sugar blossoms (for decorating dessert table items)
- Icing and piping cookie designs using flooding and over-piping royal icing techniques
- Making and decorating cakepops (including tempering chocolate)
- Making and piping rainbow meringues (rose swirls and kisses)
- Demo of how to make and assemble a meringue tree
- How to stack and decorate a 2 tiered cake:
- Making delicate cherry blossom sugar flowers and leaves
- Dusting and wiring the sugar flowers
- Using dummy cakes, how to cover dummy tiers with sharp edged fondant icing
- How to dowel and stack a 2 tier cake
- How to decorate a tiered cake, how to arrange the flowers on your cake and attach them safely (using flowers made during the course)
- How to plan and design a dessert table to any brief and for maximum visual impact, covering harmonious decoration and colours, size, quantities needed for the number of guests and table size
- How to organise a production timeplan
- How to plan out cake stands and where to find the best ones
- How to transport everything to your destination safely
- How to set up the dessert table
- Tips and tricks, and what to factor in, such as humidity, time on display, and lots more
*Please note, the images are for illustrative purposes only and you won’t recreate the exact image during the class, but you will create elements shown in all of the images.
Max students: 10
Skill level: Beginner or Intermediate
- Price: £1075.00 incl. VAT
Timings: 10.30am – 5.00pm (with 30 mins – 1 hour for lunch). Please note, the class may run over depending on the speed of the group on the day.
What you will take home: A delicious array of cakes and sweet treats to recreate your dessert table at home and share with friends and family. Not to mention a full set of skills to design and create lots more of your own.
What we provide: We have a fully equipped, purpose-built studio, and provide all the tools and equipment you need during the class, as well as an apron to wear during the class (to be returned at the end of the class), and a box to take your creations home.
What you need to bring: Please bring a comfy pair of clean shoes (you will be standing for a large part of the class), something to tie your hair back, and a large sturdy bag to take your creations home in. We recommend driving or taking a cab home if possible. For lunch there plenty of local cafes and shops within a few minutes of our studio.
Booking Conditions: Unfortunately we cannot issue a refund on any class or course bookings. If you wish to book onto a different class or course this may be possible in some circumstances and transfers will be at the discretion of Rosalind Miller Cakes. We reserve the right to cancel a class or course under certain circumstances, including if we do not have the minimum number of students booked onto the class. In the unlikely event that we have to cancel a class or course we will offer a full refund for the cost of the class or the course, or a transfer to another class of the same price. We will endeavour to advise you as far in advance as possible if we need to cancel a class.