Learn how to confidently make a perfectly stacked, iced and beautifully decorated tiered cake, with all the techniques you’ll need to create your own professional-level wedding and celebration cakes.
We’ll teach you the essential foundations for tiered cake making, covering the minute details for ensuring success every time, and a masterclass in making and decorating with our favourite sugar flowers.
Recreate your own version of this three tiered cake, using our techniques for layering, trimming and stacking a perfectly aligned cake, as well as smooth, sharp-edged ganaching and flawless fondant icing.
Using our signature techniques, you’ll learn how to make some of the most popular sugar flowers for lots of our designs; peonies, anemones and freesias, and create a floral design for your cake.
Not only will you leave with a blueprint for professional tiered cake making, you’ll also be inspired and guided in using your own creativity to create your own beautiful and unique designs.
And not forgetting a tour of our professional cake design studio and kitchen (conveniently located next to the classroom), you’ll also meet Rosalind and the team for a Q&A, during which you can ask all your burning cake questions and learn her tips and tricks developed over 20+ years of design training.
(Nb. this class uses a pre-baked 6” cake, and 4” and 8” dummy tiers)
At the end of the Rosalind Miller certified course you’ll receive a Rosalind Miller The Studio Certificate of Excellence in Tiered Cake Making & Design.
What you will learn:
- Our fool-proof TIPS on baking the perfect sponge including our signature Vanilla cake recipe (and how to adapt the recipe to different flavours)
- How to make smooth Swiss meringue buttercream
- How to neatly layer, fill and crumbcoat your cake
- How to make and use ganache for a perfectly smooth and sharp edged undercoating
- How to cover cake tiers and dummy tiers with fondant icing for a flawless finish
- How to neatly cover a base board
- How to securely and evenly dowel and stack a tiered cake
- How to master sugar flower making, working confidently with the essential tools and materials
- You’ll learn how to make advanced delicate peonies, anemones, freesias and small wired blossoms in our signature style (our clients love these flowers) – the techniques you’ll learn here can be applied to lots of other types of sugar flowers
- How to realistically colour your flowers with pretty edible dusts
- How to design a floral cake and safely attach your flowers
- Royal icing piped techniques and designs
- Finishing your cake neatly with a ribbon
- Inspiration for using your own creativity to design more unique designs
Max students: 12
Skill level: Beginner or Intermediate
- Price: £645.00 incl. VAT
Timings: 10.30am -4.30pm (with 30 mins – 1 hour for lunch). Please note, the class may run over depending on the speed of the group on the day.
What you will take home: A beautiful three tiered cake suitable for a friend or family’s wedding, to share or to display.
What we provide: We have a fully equipped, purpose-built studio, and provide all the tools and equipment you need during the class, as well as an apron to wear during the class (to be returned at the end of the class), and a box to take your cake home.
What you need to bring: Please bring a comfy pair of clean shoes (you will be standing for a large part of the class), something to tie your hair back, and a large sturdy bag to take your cake home in(if travelling by train). We recommend driving or taking a cab home if possible. For lunch there plenty of local cafes and shops within a few minutes of our studio.
Booking Conditions: Unfortunately we cannot issue a refund on any class or course bookings. If you wish to book onto a different class or course this may be possible in some circumstances and transfers will be at the discretion of Rosalind Miller Cakes. We reserve the right to cancel a class or course under certain circumstances, including if we do not have the minimum number of students booked onto the class. In the unlikely event that we have to cancel a class or course we will offer a full refund for the cost of the class or the course, or a transfer to another class of the same price. We will endeavour to advise you as far in advance as possible if we need to cancel a class.