The Foundations of Baking and Buttercream is the essential masterclass for fool-proof, flawless baking. This masterclass is suitable for anyone wanting to learn how to bake the perfect cake, from professionals honing their techniques, to eager home-bakers alike.
During this fully comprehensive class you’ll learn the science of baking a reliably perfect and delicious sponge in two of our signature flavours. With our professional techniques (that don’t just work in our ovens, but in yours too!) you’ll learn the fundamental skills for making expertly baked, filled and covered sponges using different types of buttercream (Swiss meringue buttercream and American).
As well as learning how to cover your cakes with a smooth professional finish, for the grand finale, we’ll show you how to beautifully marble your cake and finish with piped buttercream decorations.
And if that’s not enough, during the two days you’ll take a tour of our professional cake design studio and kitchen (conveniently located next to the classroom), as well as meeting Rosalind and the team for a Q&A. Plus there’ll be lots of useful hints and tips to take home, learned and developed over the years.
* Please note, the class does not include making the sugar rose (as pictured).
What you will learn:
- How to bake our signature Vanilla and Chocolate cake recipes – you’ll bake two cakes during the class.
- How to adapt the recipe for other flavours (Raspberry & Vanilla, Chocolate, Sicilian Lemon, Provence Lavender, and Rose)
- How to make flavoured Swiss meringue buttercreams.
- Layering and filling your cakes with the buttercreams.
- How to colour and flavour American style buttercream to cover your cakes with.
- Crumb coating and smooth, flawless covering with American style buttercream.
- How to create a beautiful marbled finish with different colours of your choice.
- How to create piped buttercream decorations with different techniques, including marbled peaks and rosettes
- Price: £450.00 incl. VAT
Timings: 10.30am -4.30pm (with 30 mins – 1 hour for lunch). Please note, the class may run over depending on the speed of the group on the day.
What you will take home: Two professionally baked, filled and covered cakes.
What we provide: We have a fully equipped, purpose-built studio, and provide all the tools and equipment you need during the class, as well as an apron to wear during the class (to be returned at the end of the class), and a box to take your cakes home.
What you need to bring: Please bring a comfy pair of clean shoes (you will be standing for a large part of the class), something to tie your hair back, and a large sturdy bag (or two) to take your cakes home in. We recommend driving or taking a cab home if possible. For lunch there plenty of local cafes and shops within a few minutes of our studio.
Booking Conditions: Unfortunately we cannot issue a refund on any class or course bookings. If you wish to book onto a different class or course this may be possible in some circumstances and transfers will be at the discretion of Rosalind Miller Cakes. We reserve the right to cancel a class or course under certain circumstances, including if we do not have the minimum number of students booked onto the class. In the unlikely event that we have to cancel a class or course we will offer a full refund for the cost of the class or the course, or a transfer to another class of the same price. We will endeavour to advise you as far in advance as possible if we need to cancel a class.